On 12/15/05, Martin Knoblauch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Another thing I always wanted is a way to fix up the host name in
> "gmond" reporting. I have one installation with machines having NICs in
> a high-availability setup. They actually change their DNS names when a
> switch occurs, screwing the statistics royally.

I've been thinking about this a bit - what prevents us from using some
sort of per-machine fingerprint and then having some sort of id to
name lookup that can be seperate from DNS?

In ssh, each machine has an individual "RSA key fingerprint", and
regardless of the name for a machine, the RSA key fingerprint is
identical.  A similar 'fingerprinting' scheme in ganglia might work to
solve this problem, maybe?  The only problem might be generating
unique, non-colliding fingerprints...

--
~Mike
 - Just the crazy copy cat.