Hi Brad:

Thanks for looking into it.

I have already updated the spec file, so that libmodexample* will be
included with ganglia-gmond package.

Let's hope someone could help us fix this :-)

Cheers,

Bernard

On 4/6/07, Brad Nicholes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> On 4/5/2007 at 9:46 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bernard Li"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Brad:
>
> On 4/5/07, Brad Nicholes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Actually the .a and .la files don't need to be delivered at all.  They
> should be marked in the make file as not part of the distribution.  The
> .so.0.0.0 file  is the loadable module that produces a metric (the others are
> symlinks).  All of the .so* files should be listed in the %files gmond
> section of the spec file.  Using the new 'module'  configuration directives,
> the .so is loaded and registered by gmond at startup time.  libmodexample.so
> is just the example module to show how the modular metrics works.  The source
> for this module can be used as a template for creating other loadable metrics
> modules.
>
> If you can take care of the makefile, I'll add the .so* files to
> gmond's %files section.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bernar

Well, after taking a closer look at things, I'm not quite sure how to tell
libtool not to build and/or install the .a and .la files.  I guess you could
delete them in the %install section of the .spec file so that they aren't part
of the package, but it would be nice if we could instruct libtool to just not
build them or at least not install them during the 'make install'.  Unless
somebody knows how to do this, I guess for now the static libraries will just
exist even though they aren't useful.

Brad