On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 15:50 -0700, Bernard Li wrote:

> The issue is, if I am to release test RPMs, and later wanted to
> upgrade to the release version, this won't work because 3.1.0.XXXXX >
> 3.1.0.
>
> I would like to propose that prior to release, the version is always
> smaller than the released version, so perhaps we should make the
> version in trunk 3.0.9, and when release comes around, we change it to
> 3.1.0, tag, then release.

My personal preference is to have the "version" part of the rpm name
accurately reflect the package I am installing.  If I see a package
named ganglia-3.0.9-<release>, my expectation is that I am installing
some form of ganglia-3.0.9.  In this case, ganglia-3.0.9 doesn't really
exist (in the sense that there is no official tagged ganglia-3.0.9
version).

I found this page from the Fedora project about RPM naming that might be
useful:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines

I'm not saying that Ganglia needs to follow this convention, but it does
have some good ideas about how to handle rpm names for betas, pre-
releases, snapshots, etc.  Basically, it relies on the "release" field
to convey this information while still maintaining a strictly increasing
<version>-<release> number.  Maybe one of those ideas could be
used/adapted to address the problem mentioned above.

--
Rick Mohr
Systems Developer