Bernard Li wrote:
>> My personal preference is to have the "version" part of the rpm name
>> accurately reflect the package I am installing.  If I see a package
>> named ganglia-3.0.9-<release>, my expectation is that I am installing
>> some form of ganglia-3.0.9.  In this case, ganglia-3.0.9 doesn't really
>> exist (in the sense that there is no official tagged ganglia-3.0.9
>> version).
>>
>> I found this page from the Fedora project about RPM naming that might be
>> useful:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines
>>
>> I'm not saying that Ganglia needs to follow this convention, but it does
>> have some good ideas about how to handle rpm names for betas, pre-
>> releases, snapshots, etc.  Basically, it relies on the "release" field
>> to convey this information while still maintaining a strictly increasing
>> <version>-<release> number.  Maybe one of those ideas could be
>> used/adapted to address the problem mentioned above.
>
> With our current naming convention, simply modifying the "release"
> field won't fly.  Current convention:
>
> Release: 3.1.0-1
> Snapshot: 3.1.0.200710101608-1

In Fedora rpm-speak, that would actually be

Version: 3.1.0, Release: 1
Version: 3.1.0.200710101608, Release: 1

> Since "3.1.0.200710101608" > "3.1.0", you will never be able to
> upgrade the snapshot RPM to the release RPM irregardless of what the
> release is.
>
> You could potentially get around this by using the "epoch", but I
> personally do not like that.

Yes, epoch's are fugly. Don't use 'em.

The way to apply the Fedora conventions would be more like this:

For a 3.1.0 pre-release snapshot:

Version: 3.1.0, Release: 0.1.200710101608

For a 3.1.0 rc:

Version: 3.1.0, Release: 0.2.rc1

For the 3.1.0 release:

Version: 3.1.0, Release: 1

3.1.0-1 > 3.1.0-0.2.rc1 > 3.1.0-0.1.200710101608

(I've long been meaning to contribute back some of the changes I made
for the ganglia spec used in Fedora, but have been sidetracked by a
half-billion other things...)

--
Jarod Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]