On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 at 10:06, Arsen Arsenović via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Andrew Stubbs <a...@baylibre.com> writes:
>
> > On 24/06/2024 23:34, Arsen Arsenović via Gcc wrote:
> >> I was also proposing (and would like to re-air that here) enforcing that
> >> the committer field of each commit is a (valid) @gcc.gnu.org email.
> >> This can be configured repo-locally via:
> >>    $ git config committer.email <yourname>@gcc.gnu.org
> >> Git has supported this since 39ab4d0951ba64edcfae7809740715991b44fa6d
> >> (v2.22.0).
> >> This makes a permanent association of each commit to its authors
> >> Sourceware account.
> >> This should not inhibit pushes, as the committer should be a reflection
> >> of who /applied/ a patch, and anyone applying a patch that can also push
> >> has a Sourceware account.  It also should not inhibit any workflow, as
> >> it should be automatic.
> >
> > This will make it hard to a) find emails from a maintainer/committer in the
> > mailing list archives -- since it's not generally possible to send "From:" a
> > @gcc.gnu.org address -- and b) make it hard to compile statistics about
> > contributions from corporate domains (which people do do).
>
> I'm not sure that is the case - the committer field is separate to the
> author field, so all statistics one could do with the author field
> remain unaltered.  For instance (as I've been doing that for a while),
> here's what a commit of mine looks like under that scheme:
>
>   commit 36cb7be477885a2464fe9a70467278c7debd5e79
>   Author:     Arsen Arsenović <ar...@aarsen.me>
>   AuthorDate: Thu Nov 16 23:50:30 2023 +0100
>   Commit:     Arsen Arsenović <ar...@gcc.gnu.org>
>   CommitDate: Wed Dec 13 13:17:35 2023 +0100
>
>       gettext: disable install, docs targets, libasprintf, threads
>
> More often than not, the committer field is redundant with the author
> field.
>
> The email I use for correspondence is still present (and, in fact, is
> the only one visible with the default git log and show formats).

Right, and this is of course no different to when I push a commit on
behalf of somebody who doesn't have a sourceware account. The Author
field is the person who wrote the code, and the Committer field is the
person who pushed it (me).

As soon as Arsen suggested this on IRC I updated my git config. I
think it is quote logical for the committer to be the @gcc.gnu.org
account name, because that is literally who pushed it - you're using
your SSH key to push as usern...@gcc.gnu.org. And this is how all
commits looked in the Subversion days, when a commit was associated
with a username, and there was no separate Author (except as noted in
the ChangeLog file). With Git we can correctly track the Author and
Committer separately, and I like the suggestion to use different
"identities" for those two roles.

I write most of my patches as part of my dayjob, so the author is
jwakely@redhat, but I push them using my sourceware account which
existed long before I joined Red Hat, so for my future commits the
committer is going to be r...@gcc.gnu.org.