Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Paolo Bonzini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
It's sad, but I think that there is need for the SC to take action on this.

I personally don't think there is any need to remove them as
maintainers until the FSF finally produces the GPLv3 version of the
runtime library license.  At that point Apple will be out of excuses,
and will have to finally decide in or out on future gcc development.

I am probably not alone to be extremely interested in understanding more clearly what is happening on the runtime library license side, especially with relation to plugins.

The recent thread http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2008-09/msg00292.html
"Defining a common plugin machinery" is particularly concerned with this issue (of runtime library license). I'm guessing that since Diego Novillo asked something, he was expecting/dreaming/knowing? about some evolution on this.

Is it top secret information only available to some few members of the Steering Committee, or is some information sharable on this list? Just knowing that indeed a runtime library license will be finalized before Christmas (ie in 2008) and that GPL-ed plugins will be somehow "blessed" by the SC (or is it the FSF) will be a big relief.

Is something happening on runtime library license, or is there some unexpected issue which affects existing branches experimenting plugins (e.g. MELT)?

The only thing I know about runtime library license is the stuff I heard and read at the june 2008 GCC summit, and I am guessing that a lot of things happened since. IIRC, I remember having heard in june 2008 that we have only months, not years, to wait (I did not understood exactly for what, but it was runtime licence related).

In particular, if dlopen-ing GPL-ed (and even FSF copyright-ed) code is still a taboo in GCC, I would be glad to be informed...

[I'm writing in some proposals, to get money to work on GCC, that plugins are indeed appearing in GCC; I hope that I am not entirely wrong]

Regards.