On Sep 24, 2008, at 7:06 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
fix the problem.  My understanding of Apple's current position is that
they won't take any action until they see the final version of the gcc
runtime license.

Basically, what happened is that Apple created a Tivoized device called the
iPhone,
and Apple uses GCC (which is now under GPLv3) and Mac OS X on it.
Unfortunately, the iPhone is incompatible with GPLv3, if you want more see
the link I mentioned.

Using gcc to compile your code does not impose any licensing
requirements on that code.

I'm not speaking for Apple here, and I am not a lawyer. However, the last draft of the runtime library exception clause (which is quite old by now) imposed licensing restrictions on the executables generated by GCC (due to linked runtime libraries) if you did certain things to the compiler. I'm personally very eager to see the final wording, because the draft I saw (again, which is old and has certainly changed) was extremely aggressive.

-Chris