On Sep 24, 2008, at 8:02 AM, Duncan Sands wrote:

However if GPLv3 is such a huge issue
at Apple, it does make one wonder if llvm will ever see a gcc front-end newer
than the current 4.2 one.

The LLVM folks are writing a new frontend anyhow.  In the future they
presumably plan to stop using the gcc frontend.  gcc's code is so
tangled anyhow, it's not like using the gcc frontend somehow makes
LLVM compile code the same way gcc does.

I'm quite interested in porting llvm-gcc to gcc head, in order to
get better Ada support.

As Duncan says here, Apple and the LLVM Project really are separable entities. As a developer on the LLVM Project, I'd love to see a new version of llvm-gcc based on ToT GCC. I'm not sure how technically feasible it is, but it would be even better for future versions of llvm-gcc to be based on the new GCC plugin model.

-Chris