Richard Guenther <richard.guent...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <i...@google.com> wrote:
>> Richard Guenther <richard.guent...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Overall the wiki document looks good.  I'd like to disallow
>>>
>>> * Operators may only be overloaded for types which implement numeric
>>> values, where the overloaded operators implement the usual numeric
>>> semantics.
>>>
>>> though.
>>
>> My thinking here is that it would be reasonable to implement
>> real_arithmetic and mpfr/mpc using overloaded operators.  I could
>> certainly be wrong.
>
> It will hide the cost which is IMHO not wanted.

I agree that that is the usual problem with overloaded operators.  I
don't really agree that that is a problem in this specific case.  We
have to do those operations anyhow.  I don't think the ease of writing
the code is going to cause us to do extra operations in the target
floating point format.

Ian