On 06/02/2010 03:54 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Richard Guenther<richard.guent...@gmail.com>  writes:

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Ian Lance Taylor<i...@google.com>  wrote:
Richard Guenther<richard.guent...@gmail.com>  writes:

Overall the wiki document looks good.  I'd like to disallow

* Operators may only be overloaded for types which implement numeric
values, where the overloaded operators implement the usual numeric
semantics.

though.

My thinking here is that it would be reasonable to implement
real_arithmetic and mpfr/mpc using overloaded operators.  I could
certainly be wrong.

It will hide the cost which is IMHO not wanted.

I agree that that is the usual problem with overloaded operators.  I
don't really agree that that is a problem in this specific case.  We
have to do those operations anyhow.  I don't think the ease of writing
the code is going to cause us to do extra operations in the target
floating point format.

As mentioned elsewhere in this huge thread, I'd like to allow operator++ (preincrement), operator==, operator!= and operator* (unary) for iterators. That is, only forward input operators. We're going to use them anyway for the STL, so we might as well use them for bitmaps etc.

Paolo