Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Richard Guenther <richard.guent...@gmail.com> writes:

I agree that that is the usual problem with overloaded operators.  I
don't really agree that that is a problem in this specific case.  We
have to do those operations anyhow.  I don't think the ease of writing
the code is going to cause us to do extra operations in the target
floating point format.

I agree that judicious use of overloading of arithmetic operators is
a big syntactic convenience that does not have any downside. For an
example, look at the definitions of "+" etc for universal reals and
universal integers in the Ada front end.

Ian