On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 07:13:22AM -0400, Diego Novillo wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:04 AM, Marek Polacek <pola...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:08:26PM +0200, Martin Jambor wrote:
> >> I do not care very much but I disagree.  Having some files with .c
> >> suffix and some with .cc suffix would imply some sort of difference
> >> where there is going to be none.
> >
> > Yeah -- this sort of discrepancy I don't like either.  In gcc/, we
> > have 362 .c files and 0 .cc files, so every new .cc file will step out
> > of line...  That might be pain for people who are used to do
> > 'grep foo gcc/*.c' and suchlike.
>
> Any issues with doing a mass rename then?

I think it is a good idea now (except perhaps for the very few source files
which could still be compiled by a plain C, not C++, compiler; maybe we
don't have anymore them...).

FWIW, when compiling GCC trunk with Clang3.4 (i.e. on Debian/Sid+Experimental)
I am getting warnings about *.c being a C++ file.

And I think newbies are distracted also by .c files being in C++ (not to mention
emacs or other editors being possibly confused).

So I am in favor of a massive renaming. (But please do it in one single huge
svn commit).

Cheers