On 3/30/21 10:47 AM, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 30/03/2021 à 10:25, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc a écrit :
>> I've been asking myself what benefit GCC gets from being linked to GNU and
>> all I can think of is the DNS records for gcc.gnu.org.
>
>     Can you remind the meaning of GCC. Isn't it "*GNU* Compiler
> Collection" ?

It's been renamed at least once already, from "GNU C Compiler."

>     If this is still true, it doesn't seem appropriate to "break the
> communication channel" as you said in a previous mail. Or maybe you
> might suggest a new name for the project (~:

We could just rename it to "GCC", in much the same way that Acorn Risc
Machine became Advanced Risc Machines, then just "Arm". But I'd much
prefer that the FSF got its house in order.

--
Andrew Haley  (he/him)
Java Platform Lead Engineer