On Mon, 29 Mar 2021, 11:13 Richard Biener via Gcc, <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> I do think that the request at hand puts specific pressure on the SC
> members that
> is unwarranted - you ask for them to respond but they are likely powerless
> as to
> the actual request.

I don't think they are powerless, but it doesn't necessarily matter.

  In fact were I on the SC I would suggest to all
> of my fellow SC
> members to resign and re-organize how GCC wants to be represented.  That
> would
> effectively break the communication channel between GCC and the GNU
> Project [the FSF]
> but at this point it might be the important signal to send.

I've been asking myself what benefit GCC gets from being linked to GNU and
all I can think of is the DNS records for gcc.gnu.org.

The downside is the link is that a vocal minority in the GNU community make
it a toxic and hostile place. Anybody who criticises RMS or questions his
authority is treated as an enemy who must be stopped. Ironically, those
rabid supporters of the cult of GNU might be what destroys the FSF as a
meaningful force for good.

I no longer see value in assigning my copyright to the FSF.