Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

Basically, I think Python Gump was the right thing to do 'cos it breathed
life into a somewhat mundane/infrastructural task. I do think it has become
a barrier to entry for many, which I find disturbing. As such, I'd not fight
against folks wanting to re-write in Java ('cos that is clearly quite
doable).

For what its worth - yes - Python is a barrier to entry for me personally but I kind of like that. It's my perfect excuse for not submitting patches and provides me with a good separation of me as tool user versus developer (something I appreciate given the amount of stuff I'm already committed to).

On the other hand - a java variant of Gump would be interesting in that I could envisage closer integration between things like magic and gump itself. It would also be a lot of fun to play around with gump plugins - things that lavage the big interconnected picture - but I'm sure this is possible with Python gump also.

0.02

Cheers, Steve.