Hi Chris and all,
   Thanks for initiating the discussion. Can I say something in a prospective
of contributor but not a committer or PMC member?
   First, I have a feeling that current hadoop project process is good for
contributors to deliver a bug fix but not so easy to deliver a big feature. I
have great experience in bug fixing work that can get quickly response from
committers and checked in. However, I feel a little frustrated in delivering a
feature (~5K LOC, very important for hadoop running well on virtualization
infrastructure) across common, hdfs, map reduce and yarn. Firstly, you have to
figure out different committers you should turn for help on each component,
then convince them your ideas and work with them in reviewing and committing
the code. Each committers should understand the completed story and learn the
code pending on review as well as that already checked in. If some committers
are super busy, then the feature looks like pending forever. Thus, due to my
current experience, I may have to say this process is not so friendly to
contributors who come from different organizations with different backgrounds
but have the same wish to contribute more to Apache hadoop.
   Based on this, for spinning out hadoop sub-project to TLPs, I would glad to
see we will have concisely committer list for each projects then committers can
be more focus (more bandwidth may be?) and contributors can know who they
should turn to get quick response and help there. On the other hand, I would
concern it may take more complexity to dependencies for features that across
sub-project today as you should figure out branches for each TLP but it is hard
to estimate when code can come alive in each branch of TLP (may take the
similar complexity to committers as well).
   I don't have many good suggestions but would be glad to see the process can
be more smoothly for contributor's work no matter what decision we are making
today. Just 2 cents.

Thanks,

Junping