Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

Look, if instead of the "Incubation PMC" it was the "XML PMC", would it have been less confusing?

Not sure :>. Other projects (such as XML) are aimed at development in some technical area. There are a bunch of processes that are common accross Apache that support development. (Voting, committing etc.) Those processes drive the other projects.

The Incubator project is aimed at something different. It's there to support the process of "on-boarding" code bases and other products into the Apache community. That process is unique to the Incubator. You could almost argue that in other projects, the processes exist to support the projects, but the Incubator project is the other way round - it exists to support the Incubation process.

Personally, I reckon you are short-changing yourselves if you put forward the idea that the Incubator PMC is just like any other PMC. I think you play a different role and should celebrate it :>. It's incredibly valuable. But that's personal opinion, so I'll shut up now.

Again, don't confuse responsibility with "who does the work". In our case, ATM, the Incubator PMC basically controls that things don't go out of bounds. As for making the project proceed, it takes someone else for that, hence the sheperd or mentor thing.

I don't think I am, but I also believe that it's important to articulate responsibilities outside those of the PMC.

We are still learning and need fresh helpers, of you will join the effort and keep helping like you do now, with suggestions and questions, it will slowly get better :-)

And I do apologise for the long discussion. You have almost certainly been through it before, but it has helped me understand a bit better. With Cliff (not Chris :>) I'll do what I can to document my understandings. Might short-circuit the conversations in future.

Cheers,
        Berin