On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> *Every* project comes here saying "well, but I'm different, I don't need
> this and that, come on, take it easier on me". So in the end, they are
> not different at all in this ;-)

Without trying to be flippant, I'd urge you to consider the possiblity
that every project really is different, and to assume otherwise would be a
mistake.

> We even had to make a FAQ for this:
> http://incubator.apache.org/faq.html#can_Incubation_be_skipped

No one is asking to skip incubation here.  No one is saying "take it
easier on me".  What we are saying is that this particular issue is
important to us, for reasons I've enumerated elsewhere on this thread.
That's why we asked for, and recieved, clarification on this point at
<http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg01873.html>,
*prior to proposing* Axion for incubation.  That's why the Axion proposal
and associated documentation *specifically enumerates* the expected
resources, as requested by the Incubator PMC.

This notion of "quit asking for special treatment" would carry more weight
if this would make Axion an exception among incubating projects.  In fact
it is just the opposite.  All 6 currently projects (excluding Axion) that
are sponsored by someone other than the Incubator PMC are hosted at their
"destination" URL.

I am as interested in making Axion's incubation status clear as you are.

I'm also concerned about the issues the incubator.apache.org URL
introduces, as I discussed elsewhere on this thread.

Some sort of "incubation status" notice, like that found at the top of the
JAXP site, the bottom of the WSRP4J site, or the logo suggested by Tetsuya
on a separate thread, would seem to me to address the "making the status
clear" point as well if not better than a shifting hostname will, and will
avoid the issues I raised elsewhere on this thread.  If you disagree, then
let's put the issues on the table and work toward some mutually acceptable
solution.   Immediately jumping to a "because I said so" response, while
potentially binding, isn't especially inviting, and quite frankly, is
contrary to the "apache way" we're promising to nuture
(<http://incubator.apache.org/faq.html#what_is_apache_about>).

 - Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>