Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

 <clipped value="all sorts of good and useful content" />

> This notion of "quit asking for special treatment" would carry more weight
> if this would make Axion an exception among incubating projects.

The idea that no project should be grandfathered is not one of your stronger
arguments.  :-)

> No one is saying "take it easier on me".  What we are saying is
> that this particular issue is important to us, for reasons I've
> enumerated elsewhere on this thread.

I appreciate your concerns.  I don't really care about some of them as short
term issues, but I don't discard that you do.

> I am as interested in making Axion's incubation status clear as you are.

> Some sort of "incubation status" notice [or logo]

You mean like http://incubator.apache.org/images/apache-incubator-logo.png,
along with a well-placed disclaimer like found at
http://ws.apache.org/jaxme/ and http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/?

Rodney, I am sympathetic to your build issues.  OTOH, there is the branding
issue that Tetsuya raised, ironically making the opposite point than he
intended.  That branding is not as clear when the resources are not in the
Incubator, but we have already addressed mailing lists and CVS resources,
leaving only the web-site within the domain.  For whatever reason, people do
seem to notice the domain more clearly than they read the paragraph of
boilerplate on the page.

You have certain technical issues related to your build process (honestly,
temporary page ranking is not something I rate highly in context).  Do you
have a proposal that would make everyone happy?  Would a symlink arrangement
help resolve the build and URL issues?  For example, you could build and
install the site as normal, but .htaccess would redirect HTTP requests to
the incubator domain, which would have a link to your file structure.

        --- Noel