On Jan 31, 2008, at 4:08 PM, Erik Abele wrote:

Perhaps we need to do something like having the whole community vote and then taking this as their proposal to the PMC which then votes as to wether to pass this community advice on.

Yes, we're already doing that it's just very confusing to a lot of people :)

Well -- you and I (and a lot of others) understand it that way. But I am not sure if this is universally shared ? I often find people, say at a non apache conference, who just do not see/experience it that way.

I like your term "communiy advice" - the PPMC gauges interest by holding a vote where only

I'd go a step further - and would expect the PPMC to either follow or 'reject with explanation' -- rather than do something totally different. Or if they do - announce such clearly with another chance for the community to visibly rally.

Problem is - in the end of the day - the boards hold that same PMC accountable - no matter wath their community did.

the votes of the PPMC members are *counting* ("binding") and then forwards this as a community advice to the IPMC which holds another vote to sign it off (where only the votes of the IPMC members are counting/binding).

Later, as soon as the Podling has graduated, the second step goes away and the former PPMC can now directly vote and sign-off by itself...

Agreed.

Dw