On 12 Nov 2009, at 03:16, Greg Stein wrote:

Not a "strong opinion", but I think that RTC hampers the free-flow of
ideas, experimentation, evolution, and creativity. It is a damper on
expressivity. You maneuver bureaucracy to get a change in. CTR is
about making a change and discussing it. But you get *forward
progress*.

I also feel that RTC will tend towards *exclusivity* rather than the
Apache ideal of *inclusivity*. That initial review is a social and
mental burden for new committers. People are afraid enough of
submitting patches and trying to join into a development community,
without making them run through a front-loaded process.

I've participated in both styles of development. RTC is *stifling*. I
would never want to see that in any Apache community for its routine
development (branch releases are another matter).

My opinion is that it is very unfortunate that Cassandra feels that it
cannot trust its developers with a CTR model, and pushes RTC as its
methodology. The group-mind smashes down the creativity of the
individual, excited, free-thinking contributor.

+1, having experienced both,
IMVHO
RTC shrinks a community to a core team of dedicated and highly knowledgeable committers.
CTR expands and educates a community

not least because committed mistakes demand fixing by the committer and then anyone who can fix the bug. The only downside is that occasionally trunk wont build/run and if trunk is close to production that probably matters.

Shindig is mostly RTC, and was very close to big production.
Sling is mostly CTR

Ian

Cheers,
-g