On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not a "strong opinion", but I think that RTC hampers the free-flow of
> ideas, experimentation, evolution, and creativity. It is a damper on
> expressivity. You maneuver bureaucracy to get a change in. CTR is
> about making a change and discussing it. But you get *forward
> progress*.
>
> I also feel that RTC will tend towards *exclusivity* rather than the
> Apache ideal of *inclusivity*. That initial review is a social and
> mental burden for new committers. People are afraid enough of
> submitting patches and trying to join into a development community,
> without making them run through a front-loaded process.
>
> I've participated in both styles of development. RTC is *stifling*. I
> would never want to see that in any Apache community for its routine
> development (branch releases are another matter).
>
> My opinion is that it is very unfortunate that Cassandra feels that it
> cannot trust its developers with a CTR model, and pushes RTC as its
> methodology. The group-mind smashes down the creativity of the
> individual, excited, free-thinking contributor.

+1, thanks for writing this all out Greg, your thoughts about RTC for
'trunk' type branches is exactly inline with my own -- it doesn't mean
there should be a decrease in end quality, but it definitely does
stifle several potential aspects of the community.  This is my concern
with regards to Cassandra, based on my own experiences with CTR/RTC at
Apache and other projects.

Thanks,

Paul