Michael Wechner wrote:
Ian Boston schrieb:

not least because committed mistakes demand fixing by the committer and then anyone who can fix the bug. The only downside is that occasionally trunk wont build/run and if trunk is close to production that probably matters.

I think another downside is, that (maybe depending on the community) in reality a proper review often doesn't happen in the case of CTR and in the case of performance/scalability this can be very bad, because the actual problems are often detected at a very late stage and then it can be very hard to solve these issues, because the code has already advanced too far.

I see the postive sides of CTR re community and progress, but I think it requires some additional rules, guidelines
in order to make it work.
As a matter of fact, at Directory, we are using CTR since the beginning, and we have had to define those rules. It's pretty easy :
- if it does not compile locally, don't commit
- when you commit, always try to do it in a way a simple revert restore the previous state
- when doing some heavy refactoring, do it in a branch
- add some integration tests early in the process
- for new committers, check their commits until they are trustable
- define some code rules (syntax, comments, etc) followed by everyone.

That's pretty much it, and it work quite well considering the project size (325 000 slocs as of today...)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org