On 8/11/10 1:45 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> So.  Following some advice given to me by Sam Ruby,
> I'd like to start experimenting with different organizational
> and procedural approaches to the projects I participate in
> here.  What I want to do is to see how far I can push
> the envelope on the whole notion of empowerment and
> self-governance in an incubating project, following the
> lessons I've learned from httpd's treatment of the subprojects
> it happens to be responsible for.
>
> The first idea should be fairly straightforward: that for
> the projects I participate in (so far thrift and sis), that
> the IPMC delegates to the PPMC the decision-making process
> for voting in new committers: basically rolling back the clock
> to May 1, 2007 on guides/ppmc.html.

How about requiring at least one mentor on the vote, so there is still
some oversight?

> The second idea is more controversial: to hold IPMC votes to
> admit all significant committers to those projects to the IPMC
> itself.  The purpose of this concept is to allow those who
> best know the codebase to provide IPMC oversight over it,
> especially as it pertains to releases.

Would still like this to be an opt-in, where any existing PMC member
interested in helping with the Incubator could request membership and be
added after 72 hours (expanding ASF member rules to apply to all PMC
members.)  For committers (non-PMC members), I'd want an existing IPMC
or PMC member nominate the person to the IPMC and require a 72hr lazy
consensus, since IPMC members are expected to mentor and teach new
podlings about the Apache way.