On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...As one of the active developers I would have a serious problem if we as
> project couldn't provide binary releases for our users. And I thought
> the ASF is a serious enough institution that can ensure to deliver
> binaries of these very popular end user oriented software and can of
> course protect the very valuable brand OpenOffice that the ASF now owns
> as well...

As has been repeatedly mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, at the
moment ASF releases consist of source code, not binaries.

OTOH I don't think anybody said the ASF will never allow projects to
distribute binaries - but people who want to do that need to get
together (*) and come up with a proposal that's compatible with the
ASF's goals and constraints, so that a clear policy can be set. A
related discussion is ongoing on infra-dev [1] about signing
artifacts, where we also have suggested that people get together and
express their requirements in a constructive way instead of
complaining.

-Bertrand

(*) Earlier in this thread, I have suggested using legal-discuss +
LEGAL jira issues to manage this cross-project discussion. The pmcs@
alias + this list can be used to invite all projects and podlings to
join such a discussion.

[1] http://s.apache.org/signing_reqs