On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Marvin Humphrey
> <mar...@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> Returning to this topic after an intermission...
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
>> <bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> As has been repeatedly mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, at the
>>> moment ASF releases consist of source code, not binaries.
>>
>> My impression from this discussion is that many podling contributors are
>> dismayed by this policy, and that there is an element within the PPMC which
>> remains convinced that it is actually up to individual PMCs within the ASF to
>> set policy as to whether binaries are official or not.
>>

> If there actually is an ASF-wide Policy concerning binaries then I
> would expect that:
>
> 1) It would come from the ASF Board, or from a Legal Affairs, not as
> individual opinions on the IPMC list
>
> 2) It would be documented someplace, as other important ASF policies
> are documented

And 2a)  Actually state the constraints of the policy, i.e., what is
allowed or disallowed by the policy.  Merely inventing a label like
"convenience" or "unofficial" gives absolutely zero direction to
PMC's.  It is just a label.  Consider what the IPMC's Release Guide
gives with regards to the source artifact.  It is labeled "canonical",
but that level is backed up with requirements, e.g., that every
release must include it, that it must be signed, etc.  Similarly,
podling releases are not merely labeled "podling releases", but policy
defines requirements, e.g., a disclaimer, a required IPMC vote, etc.

I hope I am not being too pedantic here.  But I would like to have a
policy defined here so any PMC can determine whether they are in
compliance.  But so far I just hear strongly held opinions that amount
to applying labels, but not mandating or forbidden any actions with
regards to artifacts that bear these labels.

Consider:  If some IPMC members declared loudly that "It is ASF policy
that binary artifacts are 'Umbabuga'", what exactly would you expect a
Podling to do, given that Umbabuga is an undefined term with no policy
mandated or forbidden actions?

There is a seductive appeal to reaching consensus on a label. But it
avoids the hard part of policy development, the useful part:  reaching
consensus on constraints to actions.