Returning to this topic after an intermission...

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> ...As one of the active developers I would have a serious problem if we as
>> project couldn't provide binary releases for our users. And I thought
>> the ASF is a serious enough institution that can ensure to deliver
>> binaries of these very popular end user oriented software and can of
>> course protect the very valuable brand OpenOffice that the ASF now owns
>> as well...
>
> As has been repeatedly mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, at the
> moment ASF releases consist of source code, not binaries.

My impression from this discussion is that many podling contributors are
dismayed by this policy, and that there is an element within the PPMC which
remains convinced that it is actually up to individual PMCs within the ASF to
set policy as to whether binaries are official or not.

> OTOH I don't think anybody said the ASF will never allow projects to
> distribute binaries - but people who want to do that need to get
> together (*) and come up with a proposal that's compatible with the
> ASF's goals and constraints, so that a clear policy can be set.

I'm concerned that such an effort may not be completed, and that once the
podling graduates, AOO binaries will once again be advertised as official,
placing the project in conflict with ASF-wide policy.  It may be that some
within the newly formed PMC will speak out in favor of the ASF status quo, but
as their position will likely be inexpedient and unpopular, it may be
difficult to prevail.

Of course I don't know how things will play out, but it seems to me that
reactions from podling contributors have ranged from discouraged to skeptical
to antagonistic and that there is limited enthusisasm for working within the ASF
on this matter.

Gaming out this pessimistic scenario, what would it look like if the Board
were forced to clamp down on a rebellious AOO PMC to enforce ASF policy
regarding binary releases?

If we believe that we are adequately prepared for such circumstances, then I
think that's good enough and that fully resolving the issue of binary
releases prior to AOO's graduation is not required.

Marvin Humphrey