On 8/21/12 12:03 AM, drew wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 13:32 -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Per the IPMC's "Guide to Successful Graduation" [1] this is the
>>> optional, but recommended, community vote for us to express our
>>> willingness/readiness to govern ourselves.  If this vote passes then
>>> we continue by drafting a charter, submitting it for IPMC endorsement,
>>> and then to the ASF Board for final approval.   Details can be found
>>> in the "Guide to Successful Graduation".
>>>
>>> Everyone in the community is encouraged to vote.  Votes from PPMC
>>> members and Mentors are binding.  This vote will run 72-hours.
>>>

>>> [ ] +1  Apache OpenOffice community is ready to graduate from the
>>> Apache Incubator.
>>> [ ] +0 Don't care.
>>> [ ] -1  Apache OpenOffice community is not ready to graduate from the
>>> Apache Incubator because...
>>
>> In my opinion, the issue of binary releases ought to be resolved before
>> graduation.
>>
>> If the podling believes that ASF-endorsed binaries are a hard requirement,
>> then it seems to me that the ASF is not yet ready for AOO and will not be
>> until suitable infrastructure and legal institutions to support binary
>> releases (sterile build machines, artifact signing, etc) have been created
>> and a policy has been endorsed by the Board.
>>
>> One possibility discussed in the past was to have downstream commercial
>> vendors release binaries a la Subversion's example, which would
>> obviate the need for all the effort and risk associated with providing
>> support
>> for ASF-endorsed binaries.  For whatever reason, the AOO podling seems not to
>> have gone this direction, though.
>>
>> Marvin Humphrey
>
> Hi Marvin,
>
> Well, for myself, I don't have a problem with the AOO project not having
> official binary releases - in such a circumstance I would strongly
> prefer no binary release at all.

As one of the active developers I would have a serious problem if we as
project couldn't provide binary releases for our users. And I thought
the ASF is a serious enough institution that can ensure to deliver
binaries of these very popular end user oriented software and can of
course protect the very valuable brand OpenOffice that the ASF now owns
as well.

The satisfaction of developers (at least my personal) is the fact that I
work on a piece of software used by millions of users worldwide and
these users require a binary version. And one of a trusted source and
that is allowed to name it OpenOffice.

I thought also that the ASF could leverage the brand in a way to
generate more donations for the ASF and benefit even more from the
overall success of the project. I know people who didn't know Apache
before but now because of OpenOffice. Maybe worth to think about it!

But I get ones more the impression that I am probably wrong. If the day
should come that I will leave this project it will have nothing to do
with the project itself.

Juergen