On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2012, at 7:33 PM, Eric Yang wrote:
>
> > Hi IPMC,
> >
> > For the past two years, Chukwa has been labelled as non-active project by
> > mentors, and has been put on votes for retiring this project by mentor
> and
> > IPMC.
> > In this year's stats, Chukwa has more activities in comparison to Apache
> > Wink in both mailing list traffic and resolved jiras.  Yet Chukwa has
> been
> > voted to discontinue by mentors, but Wink is voted to graduate  by the
> same
> > mentor. Here are the number of mails showed up in dev list between Apache
> > Chukwa and Apache Wink:
>
> Since I am the mentor that started the retirement vote on the podling I
> will explain my perspective.
>
> What it comes down to is actual diverse activity.  For me, the
> overwhelming bulk of the work for Chukwa was being done by one person.
>  While looking at the raw numbers the two projects seem similar, if you
> scrub the threads where we discuss whether or not to retire Chukwa and also
> look at who's doing the actual work, it seems to me that the two projects
> are not exactly the same.

I went ahead and did just that.  I read a bunch of the threads and the
pattern is that one committer does (mostly small) stuff and the few others
typically just say "meh...".

It should be emphasized that retirement != project-death-sentence.  Chukwa
might even do much better as a github project where new contributors can be
groomed more aggressively than with an apache project.