Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, it's interesting to see that some project don't have
bylaws.

The whole reason this come about is because it's unclear what voting rules are
the default when voting someone in as  committer. See [1] (consensus) and [2]
(majority). If -1 is a veto or not is sort of important thing to know, and
which voting system is used actually changes how people vote. To solve any
potential disputes bylaws are perhaps not required but the project at least
needs to reach consensus on what voting system should be used. Just before or
after graduation would be a good time to do this IMO.

After looking at other project bylaws I also realised that we were missing/not
discussed a few other reasonably important things like the term of the chair.

Perhaps the option of having a boilerplate set of bylaws (taken from an
existing project ) could be the default on graduation and then each project
make their own by voting to modify them?

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html
2. http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html