On 10/2/13 10:09 AM, "Doug Cutting" <cutt...@apache.org> wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> To me, agreeing on "the norm" is not the same as policy, especially
>>policy
>> that does not allow for exceptions.
>
>I agree.  Establishing whether there is a norm is a useful first step.
> That's what I'm trying to take.  Thus far I've seen noone disagree
>that consensus is most common for committer additions at Apache.  I've
>also seen folks suggest that they prefer having norms than having
>explicit bylaws for their projects.  I don't anticipate any policy
>being established as a result of this discussion, except perhaps
>better documenting what the assumed default is for projects that don't
>choose to have explicit bylaws.
>
>> And again, to me, "consensus != unanimity".
>
>This might be another case where better documentation would help.  In
>my experience at Apache, consensus is equated with unanimity.
In my tour of the internet since my last post and your reply, it does
appear that most Apache-related information indicates that committer
voting uses consensus and thus the Voting document [1] is out of date.

I found this link as well [2].  I'd be tempted to replace the Voting
document [1] with this [2], although I'm not sure I understand the
difference between "consensus" and "unanimous consensus".  Your thoughts?

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
[2] http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/meritocraticGovernanceVoting

-Alex