On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org> wrote:
> First off: Can we *please* focus on the revised proposal and not get
> into a loop about the original email? I'll change the topic if that helps.
>
> The revised edition, as partly suggested by Sam (and echoed by Bertrand)
> was:
>
> - Binding votes on incubation, graduation and/or retirement are only
> valid when given by members of the IPMC who are independent from the
> podling in question. Mentors are free to recommend such actions, but
> cannot cast a vote themselves.

We seem to be playing a weird game of telephone (a.k.a. Chinese
whispers[1]) as I most emphatically do NOT want to be associated with
that particular suggestion.  The only suggestion I would be willing to
be associated with is one where one can call into question votes where
all of the people who voted as a block were ones that were all aligned
externally somehow (a single employer is perhaps the most common case
of this).  But that would be an extreme case, and a rule rarely (if
ever) invoked.

When I speak at the ASF, I want to be thought of as someone who has
earned the right to be considered as an individual.  That's the way I
treat other ASF members, and the way I want to be treated myself.  You
don't get to be an ASF member or a VP or a committer by appointment by
your employer, you get to be any or all of the above by recognition by
a diverse group of your peers.

- Sam Ruby

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_whispers