There is a big difference between Apache OpenOffice and NetBeans.  NetBeans,
even with the NetBeans Platform, is a developer-facing project.  I presume that
the cycle of learning and improvement out through the adopters and community
for NetBeans is operating successfully and will thrive at Apache.  The
"eating-your-own-dogfood" principle seems to be well in hand [;<).

There does need to be attention to infrastructure requirements.

The initial committer list for Apache OpenOffice to enter incubation was
entirely and publicly self-selected.  That means it includes, to this day,
individuals who do not commit to the code but contribute, when still active, in
other ways.  There are acute divisions between those who cannot and will not
build the code, those who manage to build and run the code, and those who can
do anything significant with the code and test their results.  That division is
a tremendous challenge in the sustainability of Apache OpenOffice.

Although the size of OpenOffice is daunting, that in itself is not a challenge
to the ASF infrastructure.  The files in the Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 source
release consist of

   1.43 GB (1,541,226,333 bytes) of text in
 60,955 files, in
  6,429 folders.

 - Dennis

[ ... ]