Jim said "Let's also recall that the origin genesis of the Incubator was NOT to
provide legal oversight, but rather education and guidance into The Apache Way"

I say... HEAR! HEAR!

________________________________
From: Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 4:36:02 AM
To: Incubator General
Subject: Re: Podlings, the Incubator, relationships and Apache

> On Jul 1, 2019, at 1:45 AM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> FWIW, I reconcile it as:
>
> Incubator is a PMC and must record a business decision to call something an
> ASF release in order to place that release under the legal protection of the
> ASF.  ASF releases may have policy non-compliance issues.  No TLP can decide
> on its own to never comply with policy.  But the business decision of the
> costs of delaying a release to correct non-compliance vs risks of
> distributing a release with any non-compliance is up to the TLP.  VP Legal
> will assert a risk profile for any non-compliance and VP Legal or any ASF
> Member or PMC Member should try to stop a release if a TLP decides to
> distribute something highly risky.   But it is up to any TLP.  Including the
> IPMC.  And so the Incubator can do whatever it wants within limits.  Any of
> us should protest if the IPMC starts allowing releases with high risk.  But
> with the disclaimer and -incubating suffixes, the risk of many non-compliance
> issues are low, even CatX and binary inclusions.
>
> Whether the incubator needs to have a secondary vote is not required by the
> above.  IPMC members could drop in on the podling vote thread.  Podlings with
> 3 active mentors that vote on the podling's vote thread could be deemed
> sufficient.

Although not a "real" PMC, we do need to provide legal protection for each PPMC
and distributing releases is the time that most legal considerations "kick in"
as it were. So we need a clear "paper trail" of approvals for that PPMC to
enjoy the legal protection the foundation exists to provide. The IPMC vote,
since the IPMC is, in fact, a true PMC, provides that legal provenance such
that, should anything untoward happen, we can clearly show to outside legal
entities corporate provenance without having to try to explain the intricacies
of podlings, and PPMCs and PMC and et.al. :-)

Let's also recall that the origin genesis of the Incubator was NOT to provide
legal oversight, but rather education and guidance into The Apache Way (TAW).
Back then we had way too many projects that were TLP status that lacked even a
basic awareness of TAW, and the board, rightfully, considered that a huge
problem (this started with the mismanagement of the Jakarta project, which
tried to create a sub-foundation within the ASF such that the Jakarta PMC was
basically the "board" of that "foundation"... as these projects spun out,
problems aplenty ensued). And so the Incubator was created to handle that
problem.