On 07/06/07, Henning Schmiedehausen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 19:13 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 06/06/07, Roland Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > sebb wrote:
> > > s/branch/tag/g  surely?
> >
> > Eh... CVS tag = SVN branch? Whatever, the things that are
>
> No, CVS tag = SVN tag

No. SVN tag == SVN branch == shallow directory copy.

Depends on your meaning of "shallow" - changing a file in the original
does not change the file in the copy.

There is just a convention in SVN to distinguish branches and tags. Both
are the same thing, just in different places ( /branches and /tags).

Yes, I think that's what I said.

A CVS tag is something totally different. A CVS tag is a named set of
different file revisions and basically a kludge if you do not have a
repository-wide atomic revision number. Which subversion has.

What I meant was that the /tags directory is conventionally used in
SVN where one would use tags in CVS.

Rather than using the revision number for building/representing a
release, a tag is created, and then never updated. The tag tree thus
contains a specific revision of the the database, and is a way of
giving the revision a name.

As far as I can see, SVN tags are a convenience - one could just
document which revision constitutes the release, and use that to to do
the build or retrieve the files.

S///