On 06/06/07, Roland Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
sebb wrote:
> s/branch/tag/g  surely?

Eh... CVS tag = SVN branch? Whatever, the things that are

No, CVS tag = SVN tag

not trunk and from which you can get a named historic version
(=revision?) of what used to be in trunk :-)

In SVN, there is no distinction between tags and branches (or indeed trunk).
They are all just directory names.

But the convention is to use

  trunk

for mainline code;

  branch/branch-name

for any parallel developments (which may one day get merged into trunk); and

  tags/tagname

to identify a snapshot which does not change.

SVN does not prevent anyone from updating any of the directories,
whereas as I recall, CVS tags were not as easy to update once created.

So a release can be developed in a branch or the trunk; before the
release is finally built the current files should be copied to a
subdirectory of tags.

The tags subdirectory should not be updated once created.

It's called "level" in CMVC, and I just don't want to spend
my time on learning a separate vocabulary for every source
repository system out there :-(

cheers,
 Roland