Grant Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> Ryan Phillips wrote: [Fri Apr 28 2006, 12:14:53PM CDT]
> > __Problem: Developer Growth__
>
> I've seen suggestions before that one of the things limiting Gentoo's
> growth right now is the hurdles involved in becoming a dev.  I don't
> really think the dev quiz is all that onerous, but I'm willing to listen
> to arguments there.
>
> > __Problem: Live Tree__
> >
> > Having a live tree requires people to be perfect.  People are not
> > perfect and requiring it is ridiculous.  I love having commits in my
> > local tree within the hour, but having a stable and unstable branch
> > makes a lot of sense.
>
> Does it?  How does having a stable and unstable branch differ from
> having stable and unstable keywords?
>
> On older idea was peer review.  Any dev could commit to the
> not-yet-ready-for-primetime branch, but those commits would have to be
> peer-reviewed before being added to the user tree.  It's a great idea,
> except (a) nobody wants to do the reviewing job and (b) it would be a
> full time job.
>

> > CVS doesn't do branching nor tags very well...
> >
> > __Problem: CVS__
> >
> > CVS is one of the worst application ever created.  The portage tree
> > needs to move to subversion.  A lot of the problems within the project
> > would be solved by using a better SCM system.  The previous problems
> > regarding the Live Tree and Developer Growth would be solved, IMHO, by
> > just switching.  Branches Work.  Tags Work.  Reverts work.  Moves
> > work.  I don't see any reason not to use it.  It just plain works.
>
> Have you tried using SVN for the portage tree?  I don't know if anybody
> has recently, but in the past when people tried there were two
> significant problems: SVN requires at least 2x the tree size for storage
> on the local machine, and checkouts take something akin to an order of
> magnitude longer than CVS.  The former is annoying, but liveable, but
> the latter is a deal-breaker.
>
> > __Problem: QA Policies__
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/37544
> >
> > It seems that the QA Policies are a product of a Live Tree, and going
> > partially non-live would solve the problems listed.
>
> QA does help with fixing broken packages, but in my view their most
> important mandate is to help devs fix bad habits in writing ebuilds.
> Repoman and lists of best-practices help in this regard, but the QA team
> tends to be much better at explaining why something is a bad idea.
>
> > Conflict resolution should not be a subproject.  It should *not* exist
> > at all.  Rules need to be in place to avoid conflict.  Having some
> > sort of voting structure for all the developers (this doesn't mean
> > requiring everyone to vote) and not just the council or devrel makes a
> > lot of sense for most things.  If I don't like how someone is acting
> > within the project there should be a vote and then see if that person
> > is kicked out.  No trial, no anything besides a vote.  And if I lose I
> [...]

The first thing that we should acomplish is a different SCM system for
the portage tree.  This should be our #1 priority.  This change would
give us more freedom and fix some of the problems I proposed.

SCMs:
git - terrible with lots of tiny little files
darcs - haskel shouldn't be a dependency
mercurial - haven't tried it w/ the tree, has anyone?
svn - seems like the best candidate for now.  2x drive space isn't a
lot.  we don't do entire checkouts very often.

To reiterate, changing SCMs would allow us to work better.  I have
not heard of a proposed change, a date to change, etc.  I strongly
urge that we get something rolling.

-ryan