On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Michael Haubenwallner <ha...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> The only way I've found to keep the system bootable with both kernels
> (for the upgrade process until the new kernel config was good enough)
> was to replace /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 by /dev/root in /etc/fstab.
>
> How would this be done when there is no /dev/root any more?

I would think that you could just use LABEL=, UUID=, or /dev/disk/by-uuid/foo.

Those device names only work on the kernel boot line if you're using
an initramfs, but I suspect that they'd work fine in fstab regardless.
 Situations like this of course are one of the reasons initramfs is so
popular - they can be far smarter about finding the root filesystem.

Disclaimer: I'm using an initramfs, so I can't vouch for what happens
without one.

Rich