On 01/24/13 16:49, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 01/24/13 05:02, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
>>
>> I've recently upgraded some server from kernel-2.6.28 to kernel-3.5.7 and
>> encountered that the root-device was renamed from /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 to
>> /dev/sda1 due to some kernel driver change (took me a while to find out).
>> I'm not using genkernel or any initramfs, nor do I have separate /usr.
>>
>> The only way I've found to keep the system bootable with both kernels
>> (for the upgrade process until the new kernel config was good enough)
>> was to replace /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 by /dev/root in /etc/fstab.
>>
>> How would this be done when there is no /dev/root any more?
>
> These are the Compaq SmartArray controllers (usually found in HP
> Proliants). They used to have their own block driver, but these days
> they're just grouped with the rest of the SCSI drives.

Yep, this is a HP DL380 G6, and lspci says:
04:00.0 RAID bus controller: Hewlett-Packard Company Smart Array G6 controllers
(rev 01)

> The old driver:
>
>   Block Devices -> BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA
>
> The new one is under,
>
>   SCSI device support -> SCSI low-level drivers -> SCSI_HPSA

> The HPSA driver does *not* work on older Proliants, so I can only assume
> that HPSA is receiving active maintenance while the old block driver is
> not. Nevertheless, if the block driver worked for you in an old kernel,
> you could simply disable HPSA on the new one.

Well, I'm pretty sure to have started with BLK_CPQ_CISS_DA=y in the new kernel
config, but this driver doesn't seem to feel responsible for that controller
any more - or what else could have make me wonder where /dev/cciss/* has gone?
Finally I went along [1] to identify SCSI_HPSA as the correct driver.
[1]
http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_kernel/kernel_configuration/ch08s02.html

> When the time comes that you need to boot two newish kernels, you can
> re-enable HPSA and update fstab to use the new name.

So this didn't work out IIRC - but I won't retest that now. For the curious:
  $ cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:04\:00.0/vendor
  0x103c
  $ cat /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:04\:00.0/device
  0x323a

/haubi/