Matthew Kennedy wrote:

Steven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

On Friday 21 March 2003 04:49 pm, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:

Hello

I wanted to get an expert and informed consensus on what command line
interface tools are well suited to each of the following purposes which
may well mean what you use. My current choices have been entered but
please feel free to add your own with a comma in between.  Also, if you
feel any categories are missing please add them!

# Email: mutt,
# Editor: vim,

emacs anyone?

Hi,

# Email: emacs (gnus)
# News: emacs (gnus)
# Browser: emacs (w3m)
# File manager: emacs (dired)
# Games: emacs (includes a dozen or so)
# Chat client: emacs (tnt for AIM)
# IRC: emacs (erc)
# Sound mixer: emacs (mpg123.el)
# Editor: emacs
# Diff: emacs (ediff)
# Read file: emacs (M-x view-file or 'v' in dired)
# Transfer file: emacs (tramp -- ie. just about any protocol)
# Compression: emacs (automatic compression/decompression)
# PDF creation: emacs (via auctex or sgml modes)
# txt2html: emacs (htmlize)
# Term: emacs (eshell, term or shell depending on the situation)
# Partitioning: fdisk
# System info: /proc
# CD writing: cdrtools (there's app-emacs/cdrw btw)
# Gentoo: # Others:

# MP3/OGG player: emacs (mpg123.el)
# CVS interface: emacs
# Manpage viewer: emacs (M-x man or M-x woman)
# Info viewer: emacs (C-h i)

and finally:

# Shell: /usr/bin/emacs

I'm also a software developer, so I use several programming modes
within emacs also (jde for java mostly). I could probably think of a
few more tools I use within or as part of emacs, but I don't have
time :-)

Matt

Your post reminds me of a signature I rate some time ago. Translated to English it says:
All that emacs is missing to be counted as a full featured operating system is an easy to use text editor!

Christian