> Following a recent reboot, I'm having problems logging into kde 3.1.1a
> or 3.1.2.  I get the error 'ksmserver crashed' s and then I'm suddendly
> returned to kdm.    I am able to log in to wmaker, and I've cleaned out
> all kde references in /tmp on this system which is updated daily with
> 'emerge sync && emerge -uD world'
>
> This system is also running X 4.3, here are the entries from

I had those problems also, after upgrading xfree to 4.3.0-r3
The same errors with Gnome (gnome session manager crashed)
I downgraded xfree to 4.2.1 and everything is running fine now.
But now I cannot upgrade a few packages because they will upgrade xfree also
and I am afraid that kde will crash again :-/

--Kees