I have been able to get kde to start again by unmerge'ing xfree and emerge'ing xfree 4.3.0-r2. I tried a re-emerge of 4.3.0-r3 to no avail, and I don't think I should have to back down my versions just to be able to log in, especially considering that in a few minutes I will run my daily 'emerge sync && emerge -UpD world' only to see that emerge will suggest upgrading to 4.3.0-r3, which will lead to the problems that caused me to begin this thread. Any suggestions?

On another note, to answer the question of a previous post to this thread, I do not know the specific advantages to setting one's CFLAGS to match one's cpu, but I do know that I everything runs more quickly and with more stability if I have CFLAGS set to 'athlon-mp'.