> In early May my kernel was upgraded to gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r5.ebuild
> but I haven't rebooted until recently.  Is it possible this new kernel
> is not allowing KDE to start-up?

No.
I have the same kernel and with xfree 4.2.1 it runs just fine.
Today I upgraded xfree to 4.3.0-r1 and I got the same errors as you have
It is not only KDE. Gnome will also not start, the gnome session manager
crashes, just like ksmserver
I have an athlon-xp cpu
I also tried to add a new user, in case some settings are not ok, but kde
would not start.
I tried it as root, in case of some access settings did not match, but that
did not help.
So I am desperate. Downgrading xfree to 4.2.1 will perhaps start kde again,
but then a lot of other programs will not work anymore.
Perhaps I will install everything from scratch again :-/

--Kees