On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 02:02:15AM -0400, Owen Gunden wrote:

>             I /insist/ that they be stored in a sensible way in the
> filesystem for mutt users, and my definition of sensible doesn't include
> Courier's dot-heirarchy maildirs :).

Hmmm...

You might want to at least try the following in your ~/.muttrc before
you blow away courier-imap:

        set spoolfile=imap://localhost/INBOX
        set folder=imap://localhost/INBOX
        set imap_user=owen      # or whatever
        mailboxes =folder1 =folder2

You might even prefer this to accessing the maildirs directly (imap
support in mutt-1.5.4i is fast enough for me as long as you're accessing
a fast IMAP server over the loopback interface -- it's accessing slow
IMAP servers over the internet that's unbearable).

I've actually started running this way at home so I don't have to
remember to prefix my folders with "." before tab-completing them in
mutt.

UW has gone to great pains to be as compatible as possible but as I
said it has problems scaling.  UW is the canonical reference platform,
but cyrus, courier, et al are pretty feature rich and fast.  UW stores
things in old-style mbox files ("From " separated mail in a single file
-- but with an adjunct database of indexes into the file to speed things
up, IIRC).

I used to /insist/ that everything went in /etc/rc.local but all-in-all
I'm much happier doing things the gentoo way.  :-)

You might decide the cyrus/courier way is a little more sensible than
you thought (especially when you start adding users to your server).

As far as I know, UW doesn't support maildir at all -- just the "folders
at the same level level" rather than the "folders below INBOX" abstraction.
You can go back to UW and IMP, but I think you're going to go back to
mbox in the bargain.

It's not that hard to get used to.  Honest.  :-)

Regards,
--
Rex