begin  quote
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:25:30 +1000
Jonathan Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> just wanted to clarify my understanding of x86 and ~x86. I sort of
> assumed x86 mean stable and I assumed that meant that the "software"
> was stable, or does it just refer the fact that the ebuild is stable
> and working and won't break your system, but all bets are off as to
> whether the software is actually stable.

Consider it like this, ~x86 isn't -unstable-  its -testing-. It's not
the place where we stuff your latest alpha release software, this
"really nifty" (tm) 3 version alpha that is certified as a "Really Cool
Thing"  for the future.  It's where we put "stable" software with
untested (in major regards) ebuilds to check for both ebuild
inconsistencies (Sometimes they do happen, people miss dependencies and
so on)  or conflics  (Oh, Just in, foo-1.2.4-r2 breaks library
compability with seldom-used-1.0.22.ebuild. oops.)

So its the other way around :-)

the software is (supposedly)  ready to go into stable, but the build is
in testing .

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!