Hey Spider,

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:07:58 +0200
Spider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> begin  quote
>
> > So is "stable" what the gentoo devs consider stable, or what the
> > software package developers consider stable?
>
> This is decided on a case-to-case basis, And the goal of the developers
> is to provide as smooth updates as possible with as little disruption as
> possible.
>
> >  I point to
> > gimp-print-4.3.18 which is a development version (4.2.something is the
> > current stable) .
>
> However, since all packages do this a bit differently it is a floating
> thing.  (xcdroast only has alpha and beta release, where the alpha is
> more stable and 2 years younger than the last beta, and is the only one
> thats actually compatible-.....  So, Alpha is stable? ;)

Yeah, of course. But I have to make a judgement about whether to do what
"emerge -pu world" is telling me. gimp-print is not xcdroast and has an
active "stable" and "development" release versions. When I go and have a
look at the 4.3.18 page it clearly states "this is unstable, buyer
beware!"

cheers,
Jono.