begin  quote
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:22:51 +0100
Dhruba Bandopadhyay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Spider wrote:
>
> > Yep,  you always have to in fact. (No, I never use emerge -u world.
> > Ever.)
>
> Don't do emerge -u world?  Why not?

Because, on my two dev machines i run ~x86, And applying -u world daily
there could be bad for health I -always- check the updates, and stay
clear of glibc/system stuff unless I'm ready to do the updates. And a
kernel update could fill my disks if I'm not careful.

On my stable systems, all are production things, and I stay clear of
updating unless theres a good reason to do so.  Frankly, CPUpower is
valued, and the few packs that go in are only applied after the
originals are backed up (packages) and I have rescue possibilities.
Better safe than sorry.

Other reasons for this behaviour is my partial hacked util-linux to have
loop-aes and encrypted drives. This makes a mistake with "emerge
util-linux" in the wrong place a fatal mistake.

Frankly, I see no reason to update kdelibs as soon as its released,
since I seldom use it. I update packs I have use for, the rest will wait
until I have time and CPU power to burn.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!