begin  quote

> So is "stable" what the gentoo devs consider stable, or what the
> software package developers consider stable?

This is decided on a case-to-case basis, And the goal of the developers
is to provide as smooth updates as possible with as little disruption as
possible.

>  I point to
> gimp-print-4.3.18 which is a development version (4.2.something is the
> current stable) .

However, since all packages do this a bit differently it is a floating
thing.  (xcdroast only has alpha and beta release, where the alpha is
more stable and 2 years younger than the last beta, and is the only one
thats actually compatible-.....  So, Alpha is stable? ;)

>  I know this isn't really a critical thing in this
> instance (though I wouldn't like my printing to stop working), it's
> just I'm starting to try and take back control of what goes onto my
> systems. I think "gentoo is great" (tm) but it's a bit of a moving
> target and becomes "Ahem, not so great" (tm) when something breaks and
> I spend a day (or more) trying to find out what broke.

This is what we try to get around and avoid. In cases where breakage
"has to happen"  we try to work around it anyhow (gcc-config, multiple
LIB, Block, revdep-rebuild )  and where that isn't possible we have to
"fall back" to educating users into reading documentation (ever noticed
that some packages tell you things about themselves? )

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!