Hi Spider,

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:52:15 +0200
Spider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> begin  quote
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:25:30 +1000
> Jonathan Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > just wanted to clarify my understanding of x86 and ~x86. I sort of
> > assumed x86 mean stable and I assumed that meant that the "software"
> > was stable, or does it just refer the fact that the ebuild is stable
> > and working and won't break your system, but all bets are off as to
> > whether the software is actually stable.
>
> Consider it like this, ~x86 isn't -unstable-  its -testing-. It's not
> the place where we stuff your latest alpha release software, this
> "really nifty" (tm) 3 version alpha that is certified as a "Really Cool
> Thing"  for the future.  It's where we put "stable" software with
> untested (in major regards) ebuilds to check for both ebuild
> inconsistencies (Sometimes they do happen, people miss dependencies and
> so on)  or conflics  (Oh, Just in, foo-1.2.4-r2 breaks library
> compability with seldom-used-1.0.22.ebuild. oops.)

So is "stable" what the gentoo devs consider stable, or what the software
package developers consider stable. I point to gimp-print-4.3.18 which is
a development version (4.2.something is the current stable) . I know this
isn't really a critical thing in this instance (though I wouldn't like my
printing to stop working), it's just I'm starting to try and take back
control of what goes onto my systems. I think "gentoo is great" (tm) but
it's a bit of a moving target and becomes "Ahem, not so great" (tm) when
something breaks and I spend a day (or more) trying to find out what
broke.

Cheers.
Jonathan.