On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 15:51, Kevin Miller, Jr. wrote:
> I just purchased a copy of Gentoo Linux 1.4 to replace Red Hat 9.0.  I have
> been using Linux off and on for a year now but the Red Hat distro could not
> convince me to switch over to Linux full time.  Thus, I ran Windows and I
> used SSH secure shell to access my Unix accounts.
>
> First question.  My notebook has a duel boot partition running both Windows
> XP Pro and Red Hat Linux 9.0.  Will I be able to install Gentoo right over
> the Red Hat partition?  Honestly, I never plan to use Red Hat again.  I will
> definately not miss their surveys to keep my membership current.

If you know the partition numbers then you can install right over the
top of them. You may also blow them away and make new partitions out of
the same areas. Both will work fine.

> Second question which I am sure many of you asked.  From which tarball stage
> should I install?  During the demo at Indiana University, they started with
> stage3 since they told us it takes a couple of days of compiling before you
> can get a working systems with Gentoo.  Is still still the norm for 1.4?  I
> will be installing Gentoo on a Dell Inspirion 8100 notebook with a Pentium
> III 1 GHz Processor with 512 megs of RAM.  Which stage did most of you start
> from?

There was just a poll on this. Most people who will answer this question
said they start from Stage 1. I start from stage 3 as I'm a newbie also.

One reasonable point was that if you are not absolutely sure what USE
flogs you are going to set up, then you might as well start from Stage
3, later set up your USE flags, and over time most everything will get
rebuilt anyway.

My vote is for stage 3, and start using the box sooner.